Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just like life, a little rain must fall

I am of mixed nationalities. Italian is the dominant gene, even though if you did the biology – I’m probably more Irish.  I have a big nose, wide hips and thick wavy (frizzy) hair. If my hair gets wet, there is no chance it’s going to dry nice and neat – the best I can do is tie it up and hope I don’t run into anyone I know.

Traveling through different states gives you a first-hand look at Mother Nature at her finest (or worst). We called it a night at a truck stop in Kearney, MO. We arrived about 7pm, it was still in the low 90’s. I have “The Weather Channel” app on my phone – so, naturally – I checked the weather conditions once we found a parking spot. I checked the hourly forecast; Partly cloudy, low of 75. Sleeping with the windows open (and the truck turned off) was not going to be an option.

I generally like Aboy to park the truck away from the building.  It’s kind of like living on Long Island. You’d rather commute a little bit – as to avoid the noise, smells and congestion of the City. The closer you park to the building, the smell of urine is magnified by the engines idling. Plus, there is truck traffic all night getting fuel and doing other shit truckers do. Our walk is a little longer to get to the building – but our quality of life is a little better.

At 2:45 am, I was rudely awoken by a monstrous clap of thunder and rain hitting the roof of the truck so hard it sounded like someone was just dousing the truck with a hose, no filter or spray nozzle attached.  I thought to myself, “I didn’t see rain in the forecast!” rolled over and went back to sleep.

Aboy started moving around at 4:45 am. It was still raining. I heard the truck door open then a few minutes later Aboy was climbing back in the truck. He has the option of watering a tire. I told you, I have a trick hip and a shower problem – I can’t entertain public urination… under any circumstances.

Let me paint the picture:  It’s 5am, my bladder is full and I have to walk a quarter mile to get into the truck stop… in a torrential down pour. I know doctors and experts say you shouldn’t hold your pee – but if my hair gets wet, I’m limited to a ponytail until I can straighten my hair again. Not to mention the fact that we are living in a space that is smaller than what a prisoner gets during incarceration… not a lot of room for hanging wet clothes or freshening up.

I’ll wait.

Well, I’m not a native of the heartland. In New York, it may downpour for 15 minutes or so – but eventually, it lets up. NOT IN MISSOURI!  No shit, it rained for like an HOUR!! Like teaming rain that came down sideways!  The wind was so hard that it was rocking the 10,000lb truck that we call home.  

“Holy SHIT!” I’m thinking… “I gotta pee!!! What the fuck, man!” Finally, it was back to a normal downpour – so Aboy pulled the truck a little closer to the building – so we only had to walk a city block to get inside. I put on a hoodie and speed walked into the truck stop – about to BURST!

Don’t you know when I came out of the truck stop it was a light drizzle?? Mother Nature certainly has a sense of humor!  HA HA – very funny Mother Fucker… I mean  - Mother Nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment