Sunday, April 17, 2011

And we’re (almost) rolling!

April 7th 2011 (4:30am) – The alarm went off and I could hear Aboy moving around.  I didn’t sleep that great, there’s nothing like your own bed. The top bunk is more like a cot. The bottom bunk has an actual twin mattress and I really thought I was going to sleep with Aboy (till I realized our fat asses would not fit).

I had to pee and the only place to go was inside the truck stop.  Years ago (we’re talking high school days) - I didn’t care about dropping my pants behind a bush if I had to go. Now that I’ve matured and I’m a lady I can’t just whip it out and handle my business.  I’ve got issues like a bad hip and a pending shower problem – so if some pee drips down my leg or on my foot, I would have to deal with that all day.  So, I do the racer’s walk into the truck stop. Aboy takes us into the bathroom and we take turns. He’s used to all this so while it’s my turn, he’s washing up in the sink and preparing for the day…. I’m just worried about not getting any truck stop cooties on me.

Stereotyping is something I’ve had to deal with because I married a black man when it was frowned upon to do so.  People don’t talk about it as much anymore but I remember like yesterday my father worried about people thinking I was “white trash” for dating outside of my race. I could give a fuck what people think about who I'm with – but I understood that physical appearance is a huge part of people’s perception and they will judge you solely on how you look and present yourself.  Although I’ve relaxed over the years (I wouldn’t walk out of the house without taking a shower, make-up, yada-yada)… I still make sure (at the minimum) I am wearing a bra, my face is clean and my hair is tied up when I go out in public.

I just recently learned about “lot lizards” and I’m sure many of you are unfamiliar, so let me explain.  At truck stops, some females prefer to make their money the old-fashioned way (hookers). A “lot lizard” (or chicken head) goes from truck to truck – earning her “paycheck”. After I finished using the bathroom – I washed my hands and looked in the mirror. I realized that if I were in my real world – people would think I was a “lot lizard”.

Challenge 1: I need to find a way to still look like a married woman at 4:30 in the morning, at a truck stop.

We finish up in the bathroom and as we’re walking into the store area of the truck stop, Aboy asks “Do you want something before we get on the road?”. Remember I mentioned that Aboy has some flaws?  Timing is one of them.  I didn’t even dignify his question with an answer - I just gave him the “OMG, SERIOUSLY?” look, rolled my eyes, and went back to the truck.

Since it’s dark, too early for me and interfering with my (much needed) beauty rest – I get back in the bunk.  Training can wait till the sun comes up!

**********
On a side note: Before I post my blogs, I run them past Aboy to make sure they are accurate.  Aboy is a movie buff and almost everything in our life is compared to a scene in some movie he’s watched. As I was reading today’s blog to him he said it reminded him of a scene from the movie “LIFE”, with Eddie Murphy (Ray) & Martin Lawrence (Claude).  He said I was acting like Claude ‘cause I’m SOFT! “Yeah, I said it! – S.O.F. Capital T!” 

Sarcasm: the glue that bonds our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment