Friday, April 22, 2011

The power of the (virtual) social network

Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn… I belong to them all. Social networks have really changed the landscape on how we live and do business. It has removed the excitement out of catching up at a class reunion, for sure.  I’m positive that by time my kids are preparing for their 10 year High School reunion – it will just be a formality.  Facebook has let them stay in touch with their classmates – so there is no “Wow, how have you been?, What have you been up to?”… if a friend crosses their mind, they can click on their friend’s Facebook page – and find out.

Facebook has been a crutch for me – living so far away from New York.  I’ve been able to keep up with family, rekindle old friendships, and coordinate meet-ups.  For instance, not too long ago and old friend’s brother was in a motorcycle accident in Dallas.  My friend lives in Arizona and flew in to Dallas to check on his brother.  Aboy and I picked him up at that airport and dropped him off at the hospital – all because of Facebook.

Now that I’m a trucker in training, Facebook has brought a whole new dimension to the social network. I can post real-time pictures of my trucking adventures. I can update my status and within seconds my family and friends are right where I am – touring the country with me.

I had posted a picture of the (ghetto) truck stop that we stayed at in Dallas on Facebook. There was a caption that we were heading to Houston in the morning.  Aboy’s cousin saw it and sent me an instant message through Facebook chat. She’s from Bay Shore and had moved to Houston a few years back. She said we should meet up and we both agreed it was a perfect opportunity to connect, since she lived in close proximity to where we would be with the truck. So, we’re 1,700 miles from “home” – but Facebook has made the nation a smaller place.

Once we got all the contact information straightened out - it dawned on me, I'm going to have to address the issue of brushing my teeth. <sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment