Friday, April 15, 2011

A little about my trainer:

Life is much easier to face every day when you share it with people you like being around.  When you’re looking for a companion to share your life with – the most important quality they must have is being your friend.

Think about it… TRUE friends don’t always share your point of view.  TRUE friends don’t always think you are heading in the right direction.  TRUE friends have your best interests in mind. TRUE friends stand there with you when the rest of the world has walked out.  Doesn’t that make a great foundation to a relationship?

Aboy and I hit it off from day one.  There were no uncomfortable silences. There were no awkward moments.  Don’t get it twisted… we’re not perfect – in any sense of the word.  We’ve had our share of arguments and break ups over the years, but reflecting on that – it was our friendship that brought us back together.  Especially as we’ve grown older and weathered some severe storms.  We share a mutual respect for each other’s feelings and I can honestly say – I like hanging out with him. He’s funny, sarcastic, understanding, thoughtful and insightful. His flaws are forgivable (and most of the time, they make me laugh) and because we’ve withstood the test of time – makes me appreciate him even more. 

We’ve grown up together. Now we’re growing old together.  I know it sounds cliché, but he is my best friend. 

HOWEVER, Aboy is not the most patient teacher.  He’s a little blunt, not too good at explaining stuff and he gets aggravated when I laugh at him when he’s trying to show me something. I’m probably not the best student either. I’m spoiled, determined (Ganny Guy always said the Guy’s are not stubborn but “determined”), defiant and a little confrontational (just a little). Oh well. We'll work through it.

*********

Aboy has lived in the south (on and off) since the 90’s too.  If you think for one second that racism is not living and breathing in the south, please send me an email and I will give you a documented list of proven racist situations. Aboy is not the “yes sir” type either. Add in a belligerent white woman and we’ve given the south about all they can handle! He grew up in Carleton Park. He is very confident and comfortable in his "blackness". Some guys that are in a relationship with white women are viewed as a "pushover" or "wanna-be"... I can tell you, after all these years - Aboy's still a thug.   We make an odd-couple, to say the least.  I'm still a nerdy white girl - he could be a body guard for a rapper.  It works.

I also forgot to mention. Aboy is an ex-boxer.  He can throw his hands a little bit.  He can’t argue all that great, but I’ve seen (first hand) big shit-talkers get knocked (the fuck) out with one punch.  That kind of opens up a can of courage for me because for a woman, I border on the “tough” side (and Aboy taught me some boxing stuff) - knowing I have a guy standing next to me that can knock yo ass out… gives me a license to talk some shit.

I piss him off from time to time.  He pisses me off too. We’re friends – and life goes on. Relationships can be very complicated and they constantly evolve– but when you find the perfect person, it doesn’t mean they don’t have flaws – it just means they’re perfect for you.

 photo denton_jazzfest2_2010005_zps81f81c15.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment