Friday, April 15, 2011

Getting started


Monday, April 4, 2011 started extra early.  Since Aboy drives over the road – someone always drops him off in Dallas, at his job – so the car is not sitting there for days at a time.  I had work, and Aboy had to be in early to be down in Houston to drop a trailer off for the temporary seats that would be disassembled after the Men’s NCAA Final Four that evening.  So, I was elected to make the 30 mile schlep.  We left the house at 6 am (we woke up at 4:30am), got to Dallas by 6:45 am and waited.

I didn’t sleep well the night before. I stayed up late watching the NCAAW Notre Dame/UConn game.  By time I fell asleep – it was way after midnight.  Then up at 4:30am… let’s just say – I need my beauty sleep!! 

We had to wait at Aboy’s job because no one was there to give him the key to the truck.  It was cold and rainy.  I was getting more and more in the “Fuck it” mood – and thinking about calling in.  The week before I had finished the original project I was hired for at Sally and was moved to assisting the regulatory department to help get their data organized.  If you had bamboo shoots to shove under my fingernails – it would be less painful than doing that regulatory crap.  Finally at 8 am, someone showed up. I got on the road and was at work by 9 am. 

Now, one of the main reasons I didn’t like doing the regulatory work – they didn’t move as fast as I do.  So, she gave me (what would take the other temps) 4 days worth of work – I got it done in 40 minutes.  I have always been the type, when I was a manager – “if you don’t have anything to do, don’t do it here”.  It’s not like I didn’t warn them. The previous Friday I sent them an email and asked them to have some work ready for me to keep me busy for the entire day on Monday.  When I got to work at 9am there was literally 10 minutes of work for me to do.  That was it for me.  I emailed the temp agency and told them I couldn’t do it anymore.  I am not good at acting like I’m busy and especially when it’s something I despise doing.  I told them it was my last week. 

I left at 12.  I was exhausted, there was no work to do and I was having a bad hair day (any excuse will do). I went home and took a nap.  When I woke up, I had an email from the temp agency that I didn’t have to go back. Sally understood how frustrated I was and the temp agency was going to send someone else over.  YEAH!! 

My intentions were to stay at Sally’s – until I could study for my CDL and get my permit.  Change of plans.

Wednesday night April 6, Aboy came to Denton in the truck and picked me up.  He asked me earlier if I wanted to ride to Houston.  It’s not like I had to get up for work in the morning!  I packed my bag and we headed back to Dallas and the Trucker in Training program began.

No comments:

Post a Comment