Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MMM… Coffee!!!

I became enamored with coffee when I was a little girl. I wasn’t allowed to drink coffee – they said it would stunt my growth.  I loved how it made the house smell in the morning. If I spent the weekend at my grandparents’, early Saturday morning I’d go with my Pop-Pop to get a buttered roll at the corner deli. He’d get a “regular” coffee and I’d get a hot chocolate. We’d drive down to the bay in Sayville and watch the clam boats go out. He’d let me take a sip off his coffee and it tasted just like the coffee flavored hard candy that my Nan would buy for long road trips.
 
Forty years later – I still feel the same about coffee.  The smell, the taste… there’s something comforting about it to me.

My life as a cab driver fit right into my personality and lifestyle. The harder (longer) I worked, the more money I could make. I could meet people and ride around Bay Shore all day – being a social butterfly. I hung around with a bunch of foul-mouthed dirty old men and when I had enough – I could tell them to “shut the fuck up” and not get in trouble by my boss.  AND – I could drink coffee all day long!

Driving a truck brings back the romantic attachment I have to coffee. If we stop at a truck stop – there’s always a fresh pot brewed. We have extra supplies on the truck if the store doesn’t have Splenda or the right type of creamer. I miss the old Deli style coffee – you could walk in and say “Yeah, gimme a regular coffee”… and they knew exactly what you wanted. They made it with just enough sugar, just enough milk. Self-serve coffee islands (started by 7-11) took the customer service out of a good cup of coffee… but, in saying that - there’s nothing like a fresh hot cup, regardless to who makes it!

It’s funny because when Aboy and I are at home together – we have a morning ritual of having a cup of coffee and watching the news.  I can sit and finish the entire pot then go take a nap. After Aboy’s first cup, if I need the house painted, the car washed and the front yard turned over… it’s the perfect time to ask.

Aboy thinks I should drink more water.  I tell him all the time – “Honey, I don’t like that health food shit!”… besides, what is the main ingredient in coffee…??... WATER!  I win again!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your blog, I get all excited when I see you have posted a new one!! BTW I am high maintenance, too, so I hear you loud & clear. I have "foot issues" My feet can't touch the ground, or I freak out! or should I say basically have a crazy routine that follows my feet touching the ground!! Keep the blogs coming!

    ReplyDelete