Friday, April 15, 2011

The journey begins

April 6, 2011 (almost bedtime) – As I said previously, Aboy picked me up and we headed to Dallas.  We needed to get an early start on the drive to Houston and Aboy thought it was best to stay at a truck stop near his job, so we could pick up the load and “roll out” when he woke up. 

Sleeping on the truck and staying at a truck stop: VERY different. I’ve only stayed at a truck stop once before.  Raquel had a basketball showcase event at Boston University.  Coincidentally, Aboy had a load up that way.  The truck stop was about an hour away from the school so, the night before the showcase I picked Aboy up at the truck stop and we stayed at a hotel closer to where she needed to be.  After the showcase, it was about 5 pm, so instead of making the schlep back to Bay Shore, we stayed with Aboy on the truck. 

I have slept on the truck before.  When Aboy drove for a guy from Long Island, the closest he could get the truck would be Jersey City – it was like a staging point. It didn’t make sense to pay a toll to get home (his boss was beyond cheap) if he would be picking up a load the next day in NJ or PA. A couple times I drove to Jersey and spent the night.  He’d park the truck in an empty lot. There was a Greek Deli and a Dunkin Donuts next door and an IHOP down the block. Not the same as staying at a truck stop though. Using the bathroom at Dunkin Donuts is different than using the bathroom at a truck stop (trust me!).

There were also times - early in his driving career, I would go with him on overnight trips.  We’d get close to his drop off and stay at a rest area or at the place where he was dropping the load.  Again, not the same as staying at a truck stop.

The truck stop we stayed at in Dallas is not in the best part of Dallas (have you ever watched “The First 48”?).  It’s in an industrial area (rightfully so), but it is on the outskirts of the ghetto.  The clientele may or may not have brushed their teeth before they came to make a purchase. The parking lot needs to be ripped up and repaved – there are pot holes the size of craters. The building looks like it was built in the 70’s and they haven’t done much maintenance on it since then. The bathrooms are clean, but there is dust on some of the food (for purchase) on the shelves.  The clerk is sitting behind bullet proof glass.

 photo IMG_20110405_230209_zps23651b4f.jpg

Well, it’s no secret… I’m a NY’er.  I’m pretty proud of the fact that I have never had a “better than” attitude towards anyone and I can adapt to almost anything thrown at me – but this shit is GHETTO!  Aboy says to me, “Do you want to take a shower before we roll in the morning?”… so, with a hint of sarcasm, I told him – “uhhh, I’ll wait”.  I’m probably on the high-maintenance side of most female truckers but I’d rather wash up with a wet-wipe than to get caught with my clothes off in this rat-trap! Aboy laughed.  I gave him the “Ha-Ha – very funny mutha-fucka” look (in my best Eddie Murphy {Raw} imitation).

……….....

It’s been some time since I’ve even slept on the truck.  Back when Aboy first started driving – I was probably about 30 lbs lighter and Aboy was about 50 lbs lighter.  One of the drawbacks of being married, we’ve gotten old AND fat together.  Both of us are not going to fit in 1 (twin-size) bunk.  I always sleep on the left side of the bed – meaning I’ll get the outside and Aboy will have the wall. He’s a restless sleeper - I’m either going to get punched in the head or end up on the truck floor.  I opt for the top bunk.
 photo IMG_20110405_230806_zpsdffd8320.jpg

So, out of a scene of “I Love Lucy”, we’re going to sleep in separate beds.  He wants to “cuddle” so he can go to sleep.  I am much more pragmatic and know that his motive is selfish because he’ll fall asleep and when I try to move to the top bunk – he’ll wake up starting the “let’s cuddle” bullshit again.  So, I make an executive decision and just get into the top bunk.  He gripes (and as usual, gets over it)… but we both get a half ass night of sleep.

 photo IMG_20110405_232231_zps5110126c.jpg
I’m officially a trucker! J

No comments:

Post a Comment